Mavic 2 Flyaway - Lost Drone - Help

Agreed - that suggests it wasn’t a simple motor shutdown.

Ok, you caught me. Grammatical error. I know they should be “True” when on. I misread your wording.

And in that instance, I would almost bet that there was a power failure of some sort. As, was mentioned earlier.

Thanks @sar104 for the analysis and the potential crash site much appreciated. Thanks guys for the further analysis also (won’t let me tag more than 2 users per post)

So theoretically it seems as though it may be a full and instant total loss of power (to motors and aircraft for flight logs) with a battery registering 98% charge.

As it didn’t respond to return home commands is the likley reason due to no power?

To anyone’s knowledge are there any known instances of Mavic’s just switching off for no reason?

Anyone have any thoughts on what hardware could be at issue here?

Thanks again

There have been several incidents of sudden shutdown with the M2. Some, at least, appeared to be processor crashes, but the causes have not been definitively identified in contrast to Phantom and Mavic Pro cases where it was clearly a battery connection issue.

I’d forgotten that just prior to the search I took a photo of the last image recorded by the Mavic. I

t shows the farm outhouse building I was approaching. This appears to be at the top of the flight path last recorded position.

That seems much more oriented to record keeping than log forensics. It doesn’t appear to provide any detailed analysis and makes no prediction as to what happened after the end of the logged data.

I’ve been using for 4 years and it gives a very detailed account of the flight including a 3D google map recording of the flight and exact place of landing. It will tell you exactly where the drone landed.

Thanks for the suggestion @lugh23, I’ll take a look. As you say worth trying everything possible to try and help figure out what happened / where the aircraft may have ended up. If it helps great, if not thanks anyway.

1 Like

Perhaps contact the hotel or resort and give them the location of where you lost it. Someone might find it and hand it in. I have heard of bees and birds attacking drones and as it’s nesting season you’d never know. Be great to get it back and have the mystery solved. Good luck.

Except the drone didn’t land - it shut down in mid-air.

I didn’t see any detailed telemetry - perhaps I missed something.

@lugh23 I left my contact details with the hotel and had security come out to have a look. Unfortunately the security werent too helpful and they only had a brief look through the fence. They advised me not to go into the segregate area we now believe the aircraft has ended up. This was apparently due to wild dogs (which I had already seen about in the area surrounding the hotel) and snakes in the long grass.

Regardless of this I decided to scale the 10ft fence (indicated by the blue arrow as this was locked and they did not have the key to open it (lock looked old). Once inside I checked almost all of the area within however due to grass / shrubbery being around waist high and hearing snake like hissing at several points I decided to call the search off on this area. I had already completed a much larger search area directly outside of the perimeter fences (perimeter fences of this area is indicated by green arrows). The other search area covered the land between this location and the old farm outhouse building I intended to shoot which was located away from the hotel.

At the time I did not have the knowledge of where the aircraft may have ended up and belived the trajectory to have been further out that we now assume based.

I have emailed the hotel this morning asking if they may send a member of staff into the area we believe the aircraft has ended up. As you see in the pictures this particular area is tightly packed with trees.

Maybe they will locate it … If they bother to look. I have advised I will pay a fee for location and recovery of the drone.!

1 Like

@lugh23 thanks for the suggested link. I’ve had a look but it doesn’t seem to provide anything more than the basics. Am I missing something?

1 Like

I hope it turns up or DJI replaces the drone as no way should it should down in mid flight and all information lost. Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks @lugh23 for your thoughts on this.

I honestly hope it does turn up even if it’s damaged / not worth repairing as it would be good to know what happened for sure. Both for my knowledge and to share with other M2 pilots out there.

I’ve got a case number from DJI today. I’ll let you guys know what they say.

If anyone else has any other thoughts they may have, please do respond to this thread.

1 Like

As mentioned, it appears this is a more basic operation as opposed to detailed analysis. Just by taking a look at the site, it seems to be similar to Airdata.

Good God I’m only trying to help the guy out. What’s the first thing air crash investigators do if a plane crashes? Look for the black box/data recorder so they can analyse the data and work out what happened. The app does that as it gives you detailed information about the flight. Sorry for trying to help.

No one is criticizing you - we just are not seeing any of the detailed telemetry that you seemed to be referring to. I’m not seeing anything remotely like the AirData level of detail, so I assume I’m missing something. Does it require a paid account to get that?

As Sar104 mentioned, we are not criticizing. And you mention the “Black Box”? The aircraft has that as well, but when said aircraft is not retrievable, in this and many other cases, all you can go by is the transmitted data that is stored on the device you fly with which becomes a mute point upon signal loss for anything that may have occurred after that point. We are simply saying that there is not as much “detail” (If you will ) with the information provided by the site you referenced. That is all we are saying.

There I deleted the post. Yes you need to pay to have a more detailed report. DJI should be able to find out what happened if you send them the data flight file. If you get the drone back then you will find out what happened, up 'til then all else is just speculation. I’m a trained UAV pilot with a license so can only give you my opinion on what to do. I think Cjd86 appreciated my advice so that’s all that counts. I won’t be on here again so don’t bother to reply anyone else. Good bye!

Id like to say ive appreciated all the help and advice I’ve received so far, and that includes yours too @lugh23.

Any info, help, advice or guidance is welcomed.

Thanks again

1 Like