Did anyone find a compatible Android Tablet for the mini 2

Thanks again, you guys…
I’ll definitely keep you posted when I get the Tab A next week…

Cheers to all

Bit late just joined. I have galaxy tab 8 downloaded dji fly app from website no problems make sure you have correct cable micro to c and is usb 3 compatible. If you enable usb debug in settings just to make sure no issues that may happen on older tabs hope this helps if you haven’t resolved yet

First of all thanks to everyone for their comments.
As suggested by Swaltman and Floridatom, I bought and received my Tab A last Thursday. Installation went great, all updates are done to tablet and Mini 2.
Here in Quebec Canada, it isn’t easy to fly in the winter. Weather is often not suitable (Snow, winds, and more often than not, below -15C.
But this morning, by a bright sunny early morning with just a bit of wind and -8C, I finally got the chance to try out my new Tab A (2019).
You guys were 100% right. The Samsung Tab A (2019) 32GB performed admirably.
Just to be on the safe side, I installed an app that closed all background apps and put the tablet in airplane mode.
So to all of you out there with the same dilemma. If you’re looking for a cheap Tablet just for the Mini 2, the Samsung Tab A (2019) with 32GB works just fine. I wouldn’t buy this tablet for any other use as it is a slow piece of hardware for 2021. But for the DJI mini 2, it’s all good!

3 Likes

Thanks Tiggey but I have already purchased the Tab A…
Had I known, I would have probably opted for the Tab 8 as it is more powerful and Scene definition (pixel density) is much better. But then again, I was looking for a cheap tablet to use only with the drone so I think the Tab A suites me fine. Here in Canada the Tab A is around $180 and the Tab 8 is more in the $350 range.

What app are you referring to installing?

Hey Swaltman.
I used this app to kill running apps.
Hope it answer uour question.
Thanks again for your guidance.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hello GoodSon, can I asked… Did you bought a Samsung Tab A 8.0 (SM-T290) or (SM-T295)? Also what cable did you used connecting the tablet?
I’m planning to buy Samsung Tab A 8.0 (SM-T295) in my country. I need confirmation that this model works flawlessly in DJI Mini 2.

T290, you will need an adapter to hold the larger tablet and a longer cable.

Hi, a few more things about selecting a tablet to use

1. You want the T290 (T295 is still 8”, but has phone functions)
  2. Not all Tab A’s are created equal, make sure it is 32GB with 64 bit CPU
  3. I would always recommend using a tablet holder, might be able to use the Tab A without it, but it is much cleaner with a holder
  4. Have a backup cable, I once dropped one in the field and without a backup I would have been lost
  5. I ordered a cheap case for my tablet, so when working from home it is still protected
  6. I use a protective sleeve to hold my Tab A when taking it out to the field. These are cheap tablets and I suspect they will not take too much abuse, plus dirt and grime
  7. Make sure you still have your phone as a backup, it would be a pain to get out there and have your tablet give you trouble, phone could be used if necessary

I’m sure there are other things, but that is what I have learned so far flying first with a Mini I and now with a Mavic 2. I wish it was just a fun thing, but the more you get into it, the more you should learn about flying your drone.

Happy flying, FloridaTom

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, I will order adapter and longer cable soon.

Hmm T295 is only available here in my country… so no choice and I did not know that T295 has phone functions than T290. Yup, I’m sure the T295 is a 32Gb/2Gb RAM/64bit CPU.

About the cable… Tab A 8.0 is a USB 2.0 connectivity. So no issue about this?
My phone is ASUS Zenfone 5 ZE620KL but a type-C 2.0 connection and no issues so far flying the drone.

Hey Guy’s
Sorry for the delay on getting back to you…
I Bought straight from Samsung : Galaxy Tab A (2019, 8.0 inches) SM-T290NZSAXAC ,32 GB.
It works great even though the display pixel density is a little on the low side. But I didn’t want to buy an expensive tablet as it will only be used for my mini2. As Floridatom and Swaltman suggested, I keep the tablet updated and I don’t run any other apps on the thing.

This weekend, I flew a whole 90 minutes in on a cold -15C winter windy day and, other than the tablet continuously warning me that it was too cold, I did not encounter any issues flying with this setup. (I own 6 batteries) But I must admit my hands and fingers were frozen! (Ah we are crazy canucks!)

As for the cable, I bought from Amazon.ca USB C to USB C angled cable and use an adapter at the tablet side to convert to USB mini.

View the second post for the holder

Again thanks to all for input.

Keep flying!

For the holder, I kind of made a bad choice as the one I bought is easy to carry around but I have to over tighten the nut so the tablet stays in place and when I’m finished, I need pliers to untighten the nut.

Keep Flying guys

GoodSon, and all commenters, thanks for all the great feedback!

I am new to flying and currently use my Galaxy S8 phone but want a larger screen without spending too much $$$

I think this tablet will serve me well for my Mini 2 and future Air2S. I was hoping to use the Amazon Fire tablet which is a 32bit/64bit hybrid but think I may run into trouble.

Hello - I personally would avoid the Amazon Fire, not sure it would ever work. As I have noted, my Samsung tablet works fine for me - from my mini to my Mavic 2. You have to be careful that any tablet you invest in has the minimum requirements outlined many times in this forum. Make sure when you do move to a tablet that you have a good holder and good cables.

I agree - after doing some extensive reading, the Amazon tablets just don’t have what it takes to run DJI Fly without issues. I’m going to do a little more research but think the Tab A (SM-T290NZKEXAR) is where I’m headed and I’ll just use the DJI bracket.

This has been a very informative thread - I hope to find more useful info on this forum.

Hi , its an old post but I use a galaxy tab A7 lite on my mini 2 SE and my mate uses the same on his mini 2.

Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum.
Droning is a great hobby, isn’t it?
I use a Lenovo M10 and it has never let me down - the battery life is excellent. I think it was about £150, if my memory serves me right? I have used it on my Mini 2 and I aim to be using it with my Mini 3.

I use three different devices to fly my Mini 2. I have for two-years now been using a Galaxy Tablet S2 with an 8" screen. It is an older model 2017 (SM-T713) and it works great, it’s big enough to see a nice image and it’s relatively light (9-ounces). About a year ago, I bought a Galaxy Tablet A8 with a 10" screen, larger image, but the colors are not as bright, but it is heavy (1-pound – 3-ounces). And finally, I also use my Motorola Moto G 2022 Smartphone. Good color, but it is your typical smartphone screen size…

Hope this helps, also this site has a sub forum, on compatible phone and tablets, Check it out…

I have posted about this before, I would only use an 8" tablet. The main problem I had during my last flight was the sun, it was hard for me to see the screen, always look for a shady spot to use if you can.