When to retire a battery?

I am trying to determine if it is time to retire some of my Phantom 3 Standard batteries. I currently have 3 working batteries, all aftermarket. The newest one, a FlyHi battery, has about 65 charge cycles on it and is almost 3.5 years old. The other 2 are PowerExtra batteries and have 186 and 171 charge cycles on them. They are both nearing 7 years old.

When taking a look at my Flight logs in Flight reader there seems to be concerning cell deviations for cell 4 particularily in the PowerExtra batteries, but I am not sure if I should be concerned as I really don’t know what I am looking for. Also, its hard to tell from the AirData graphs if I should be concerned.

Here are the text flight logs of the most recent flights if anyone wants to take a look. The flight on the 24th was with the FlyHi battery while the two on the 25th were with the PowerExtra batteries.

DJIFlightRecord_2024-01-24_[12-30-57].txt (990.5 KB)
DJIFlightRecord_2024-01-25_[13-46-05].txt (1.7 MB)
DJIFlightRecord_2024-01-25_[14-09-31].txt (1.8 MB)

I do not want to have a sudden battery failure mid flight as I still use my P3S for light painting missions.

Thanks,
Chris

Here’s when I’d consider retiring a battery:

• The battery is damaged (swelling or punctured)
  • The battery consistently reports high battery cell deviation in the same battery cell (anything higher than 0.1 volts is typically considered to be high)
  • The battery does not consistently deplete as it’s being used (there are sharp depletion spikes)
  • The flight time is significantly reduced

If using Flight Reader, you can run a battery usage report for any timeframe to quickly retrieve battery stats like this:

Thanks for the reply. I probably haven’t been using Flight Reader long enough to get a good enough usage report. I am using Flight Reader regularly now to log all of my flights for all of my drones. It looks like the battery report has been produced in Excel. I don’t have any Microsoft apps on my Virtual Machine so it just produced a text report in WordPad (had a choice between it or NotePad). I’ll see if I can find some Microsoft like freeware to install that will do the trick.

I have been keeping an eye on my 3 working P3S batteries and the 2 PowerExtra ones which have high cycle counts and are almost 7 years old have been giving me consistent deviations. I have used AirData and it gives graphs but I find the voltage info in Flight Reader to be more specific and helpful in this case. I think it is time I retire both of the PowerExtra batteries as I don’t want to have a sudden battery failure. I will use at least one to do updates or when I need to change settings. My FlyHi battery which I flew with today did not show any deviations on any of the cells so I think I will keep it going and try to find another P3 battery at a good price so I have at least 2 working batteries.

Chris

It’s a CSV file. On my computer, Excel is set to the default application for that type of file. However, you could view it any application that’s able to generate a useful view from CSV data (like CSViewer).

Thank you for the tip. I downloaded CSViewer and set it to be the default viewer for CSV files. I like it because it is nice and light and doesn’t take up much space on my Virtual Machine.

Chris