Some People May be Exempt from Paying the $150 Fee for the Part 107 License Test…

I just read that certain people, depending on their affiliation with various organizations may not have to pay the $175 fee to take the Part 107 License Test…

If you have had any experience with this, please chime in…

These groups include: the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) , the Joint Services Aviation Maintenance Technician Certification Council (JSAMTCC), the U.S. Military, the DOD, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS))…

And these groups also include: Active-duty, guard, and reserve component personnel of the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Navy; U.S. Military retirees; U.S. Military dependents; Department of Defense (DOD) civilians; and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civilians.

The authority for this is listed below…

U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, National Policy, Subj: Conduct of Airman Knowledge Tests, Order 8080.6H, Dated 22 Sept 2017.

Latest Update; or as Edward R. Murrow might have reported it… “Dateline: Free FAA Exam!”

I spoke to several folks at the Langley AFB Education Center and they assured me that all testing at their facility is without cost for eligible personnel.

Since I am a Retired Military Member and eligible for testing at a Military Facility, I was provided instructions to get myself scheduled for the “Unmanned Aircraft General-Small (UAG)” exam as the FAA refers to the part 107 License Exam.

The instructions required me to log onto the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) web site and register with them and acquire an FAA Tracking Number (FTN) Registration Number C-XXXXXXX.

Then I had to register on the PSI True Talent Web Site in order to schedule testing at a military installation. However, once I registered, I was instructed that I would receive further instruction once the application was approved.

After receiving the instructions, I had to register (maybe re-register…) and after filling out a more extensive application, I was afforded an opportunity to schedule testing anywhere an FAA Authorized Testing Facility is located. I chose my Zip Code and a short distance and it came up with two options; one, Langley AFB Education Center and a Flight School at my local airport.

The program did not offer the choice of Fort Eustis even though the FAA indicated this is an authorized testing facility. I understand they have a part-full time test proctor and perhaps the time period allowed did not have any open dates at Eustis.

As you can see in the attached screen-grab below, it indicates the test at Langley is FREE, can I say that again? FREE!

While negotiating to the Schedule Test Screen, I was notified that the test costs $175 unless otherwise indicated.

I will be posting all this again as a fresh topic so it’s not all scattered out over several pages of postings and it will include detailed instructions to register and to schedule the Exam…

But one more reminder, the test is not FREE for “Regular and Irregular” Folk, you must be in one of these groups: the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) , the Joint Services Aviation Maintenance Technician Certification Council (JSAMTCC), the U.S. Military, the DOD, and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS))…

These groups include all Active-duty, guard, and reserve component personnel of the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Navy; U.S. Military retirees; U.S. Military dependents; Department of Defense (DOD) civilians; and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civilians.