Mavic pro lost in a river

On Friday, March 9, 2019, I went with the mavic pro to make some recordings.
The landscape a river with small waterfalls and 2 bridges. One of the bridges from where he piloted, is a Roman bridge. After having recorded the river, the cataras, I wanted to pass the mavic pro below the Roman bridge. I did it slowly to frame the mavic with the arch of the bridge. Once the mavic was in the center of the arch of the bridge and without touching the sticks, the mavic ascends diagonally to the left until hitting the bridge and falling into the river. I could not recover it, since the current does not know where it could have taken it. Maybe in the summer and when the river comes down, someone can find it.
I leave a YouTube link with the video cache recording:

And the flight log:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S3P9_H5IShMpKAh3K-k0EVJ-jxMI05vL

The mavic I bought it in February 2018 and the fatal accident on March 9, 2019
A great loss, but I do not know why.
Some help…

dji say not to fly within two meters of water as it messes up the vision positioning…

1 Like

This looks to be a conflict with the VPS. You should never fly over water with the VPS on first of all.
At ~625 seconds, the VPS indicated you were close to the ground. The aircraft very slowly began to climb. ~5 seconds later you hit the underside of the bridge.

1 Like

According to the DJI GO 4 program, it was 2.7 meters VPS

Thank you very much for answering. What he was trying to do was to pass slowly so as not to hit the arch of the bridge.
The VPS, it marked 2.7 meters, maybe the reflection of the sun in the water, the satellites down to 8. I do not know, but I think that 2.7 meters in height should be enough to be able to advance without the mavic, the only, the application, would give order to ascend. Also ascended as you can see in the diagonal video, never straight. And to go up very slowly, I can say no. That went up very fast, I did not have time to react.
In short, it has no arrangement. I already have the MAVIC 2 ZOOM, but I would expose it so that other pilots could see it and it would be useful for them not to do it.
I have seen many videos of flights below bridges. Near the water. Even near the water and without the lower sensors and the problem is the same.
The Mavic was still in the air, the levers were not touching. And the mavic, the solo, the application, ordered to rise, I do not know why.

it was definitely a vps conflict as Fly Dawg says…
when i said two metres that is just what dji say for the inspire it may be different for your MP?

probably with vps turned off

1 Like

The VPS was commanding the aircraft to climb. It slowly climbed for ~5 seconds before hitting the bridge.
You were also giving forward throttle at the time of impact so your statement is incorrect reguarding the sticks.

1 Like

I thank you for your answers.
Regarding the activated or deactivated VPS, please, watch the following video. They are tests with 2 DJI and it fails whether it is activated or not.

1 Like

Sorry, I explained wrong. I wanted to say, that I was advancing, but not elevating. I was going, say in a straight line, forward. And instead of crossing, moving forward, it went up …

1 Like

That is correct. I just explained why you slowly gained altitude. VPS over water is a tricky adventure. Depending on the circumstances.

2 Likes

I have to look how to understand the graphics that you have sent me. Thank you.
I hope not to make the same mistake with the M2ZOOM.
When it happened I was in shock: :astonished:
But I had seen so many videos about the water, even this summer I drove over the sea, higher, about 3 or 4 meters and without the slightest problem. In short, we will see if when the flow of the river goes down, I can find it, if only to have it as a memory.

1 Like

I know how you feel. I lost my brand new Mavic 2 Pro at the beach. Lost sight of it in the glare of the sun and a wave caught it. Two weeks later we were walking down the beach and it was sitting on the sand. Somebody probably saw it in the water and brought it up above the water. If I hadn’t been walking about that time I was, high tide would have taken it back out again. There didn’t appear to be any physical damage to the drone except sand was embedded in every nook and cranny. I thought the arms or camera would be torn off because of the pretty violent wave action through the previous weeks. The worst part was the sd card didn’t work. Fortunately I had purchased the insurance from DJI and was able to get it replaced.

1 Like

Well, you have had luck, to find it and to be able to use the insurance … I did not have it, the insurance, but I could not use it, I did not find it … maybe when the river flow decreases it appears to have as a memory.
And you had not recorded the screen ??
I do not know why, but the recording made on the mobile DJI GO 4 application left no trace of the video.
At least as I had recording the screen, I could see the recording of the incident.
Now I hope that the MAVIC 2 ZOMM lasts me a little longer …