Mavic 2 Pro zoom crashed

You mean trying to maneuver the drone out of that dense forest while i’m well over 150 meters away relying on my cell video?

No, allowing your drone to plow into that outcropping of trees during the helix shot.

If you were flying within visual line of sight (VLOS) this entire ordeal could of easily been avoided. This, by they way, is a legal regulation here in Canada and a specific instruction in the Mavic user manual (check the flight operations chapter).

Please read (and understand) both before flying again.

Sorry, I was facing north west towards the sun and I didn’t realize the Helix mode was gonna send my drone to Alaska. I will now opt to bring a 24" monitor for my future flights…

It’s called pilot error. Automated flight modes are to assist the responsible pilot, and are not to blame, when you didn’t stop them, and take over manual control, when their continuation results in a crash. Plan better next time, and practice over an open field first, instead of jumping immediately onto the equivalent of a racetrack with your “Tesla”, expecting it will do all the driving for you.

What’s your take on force landing that took place? Does it seem like a good DJI code parameter?

As was stated above. There can always be improvements. You have to remember that some of the sensors are US and some are IR. The light spectrum for IR will confuse the sensors at times. As you stated facing towards the sun. The US sensors are not affected by that, however they are also less accurate. Code parameters aside, there is only so much that these OA sensors can do at this point.
And as far as the force landing, that is the current coding. Again to cancel that is full throttle up, which did not occur. The cancellation feature was there.

When I pushed the stick forward, I was able to see clearance away from trees and branches, so I took a quick look at drone location but I couldn’t see anything and heard some noise on my controller, by the time I look down my controller, it was somewhat too late.

I don’t claim to be an expert, I watched tons of Mavic 2 pro videos online even with people riding their mtb’s, I was sold on the 6 obstacle sensor when I saw all of these including the crash test. I went for a hike with the drone and it worked flawlessly with a much worst condition. All I can really think of is somewhat 2 updates request which I followed thru.

Please understand that obstacle avoidance is only a safety feature and is never guaranteed. Watching YT videos is no substitute for actual stick time experience. Most of us spent hours practicing our flying and piloting skills with $50 mini quads before ever considering dropping $1500 on on our first camera drone with safety features. Crashing is part of the experience. Better on a $50 drone than a $1500 one!

What are you implying? Are you saying this is my 1st drone?

I think you need read my post again about youtube, read again then again and maybe you might figure out what it means.

This. You used a brand new automated flight mode in unsafe conditions, after watching YT videos, resulting in a crash, and now it’s DJI’s fault because you relied upon the 6 sensors to prevent the crash, rather than your pilot skills, or lack thereof. Everyone above agrees this is pilot error, even though some aspects of the automated flight programming could be improved upon. Accept personal responsibility, and then we can all then learn from your mistakes. Obstacle Avoidance Sensors are safety features and not guarantees for purposes of warranty repairs. The fine print states they are only designed to work under very specific parameters, which are easily exceeded, despite all the puffery in advertising about them.

1 Like

Do you own Mavic 2 pro Doc? Can you explain to me how my DJI sensors worked perfectly for previous rides and all of a sudden if failed on a much forgiving environment? I have taken this drone inside the forest where I go for a hike and every time it stops and waits for me when an obstacle seems too great but then it failed to stop on a much more dense forest.

I am starting to think you are on DJI payroll as your context and argument are locked into operator’s fault. The problem is you have taken very little consideration nor have taken any interest on what exactly happened but rather you look at the flight data and you bluntly take a judgement of "Operator’s fault, no claims here and very little to do with DJI or maybe a slight improvement. Please tell me, did you also think that given the 737 max pilot expertise and a fault in that planes software is also a pilot error that led to the crash?

I know you enjoy licking and salting my wounds, but at least try to make sense that my drone was accelerating while landing and the environment was open space, very clear day and if only those environment was taken into consideration plus a simple altitude+speed rule engagement, we wouldn’t need to salt my wounds here. How do you justify a force landing procedure at 30+km/hr at such low altitude like a flying canon ball.

12m 54.5s Forced Landing 15satellites 25.6ft 3.0ft 18.7mph 619.8ft 55% 15.305V 3.844V 3.833V 3.826V 3.802V 0.042V
12m 54.6s Forced Landing 15satellites 25.3ft N/A 19.2mph 618.3ft 55% 15.305V 3.844V 3.833V 3.826V 3.802V 0.042V
12m 54.7s Forced Landing 15satellites 24.9ft N/A 19.9mph 616.0ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 54.8s Forced Landing 15satellites 24.6ft N/A 20.1mph 614.3ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 54.9s Forced Landing 16satellites 24.3ft N/A 20.8mph 612.3ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55s Forced Landing 16satellites 24.0ft N/A 21.0mph 610.6ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55.1s Forced Landing 15satellites 24.0ft N/A 21.5mph 608.5ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55.2s Forced Landing 15satellites 23.6ft N/A 21.9mph 606.7ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55.3s Forced Landing 14satellites 23.3ft N/A 22.2mph 604.8ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55.4s Forced Landing 14satellites 23.3ft N/A 22.4mph 603.0ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55.5s Forced Landing 15satellites 23.0ft N/A 22.9mph 600.6ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V
12m 55.6s Forced Landing 15satellites 22.6ft N/A 23.2mph 598.7ft 55% 15.284V 3.834V 3.825V 3.821V 3.804V 0.03V

As opposed to bashing another OP for your errors, maybe this will explain the data in a better manner for you. When the VPS indicates the aircraft is close to the ground, giving full down throttle will initiate a force landing sequence. To cancel that, a full up throttle should have been performed. Instead, you gave full forward elevator increasing your speed with the autoland sequence still in progress. Your actual altitude was ~10 meters and falling while still giving full forward elevator. That was the reason for the increase in speed during the autoland sequence. Granted, the VPS and the actual altitude were off by quite a bit, and the reason for that could be any number of possibilities. You should take this issue up with DJI and cease the unnecessary rhetoric. You made errors, but again granted the sensors could perform more accurately.

Does it take a rocket science to terminate force landing if such UAV hits certain speed vs altitude regardless? Explain to me how important it is to keep and allow force landing going 30-km/hr at such low altitude on a drone specific unit not RC Airplane.

If indeed obstacle sensor was enabled and working properly, we probably wouldn’t be here right now. Maybe what i’m fighting for here is a major flaw and needs some immediate attention that could actually save peoples head from getting smack one day.

Maybe it’s time to push for such answer and accountability from DJI not you folks licking my wounds dry.

No one is doing this. We are simply stating facts from the data provided. You are taking this too personally. Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect and neither is the hardware involved here.
If you read what I said, I mentioned the fact that the sensors are not perfect and the fact that there was and is an existing force landing cancellation procedure that currently exists that you did not execute.
This was an error on your part which allowed the force landing to continue with your full forward elevator. It is completely irrelevant as to the “what if’s” regarding software or hardware changes that should be made. The procedure is what it is at present. No one here is affiliated with DJI directly in any manner. You should take that issue up with them.

1 Like

Not that it matters, but, yes, I, too, own a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mavic 2 Zoom (there is no Mavic 2 Pro Zoom). I have also dealt with DJI on my own crash where it appeared Obstacle Avoidance failed. The safety feature vs. warranty guarantee of OA came from DJI. Just passing that along. It is often misunderstood. The M2P is a remarkable flying machine. Its safety features will protect you from most crashes, but it appears you are pushing the envelope, and inadvertently finding weaknesses, which we can all learn from, and are. Pointing out areas for improvement is constructive. Trying to blame DJI’s engineering and me, another user, for DJI’s making an imperfect product is not. Deliberately and repeatedly flying in an area that constantly pushes the limits of OA (like in a dense forest) is flying in unsafe conditions and is a form of pilot error. The M2P may still be the best tool for the job, but when it crashes, under those extreme environmental circumstances, it’s on you. Hopefully, you can learn from the experience, and become a better pilot, by eliminating or minimizing your contributions to the crash, and recognizing your assumption of the risk in flying in dense forests. You must have some great footage from all prior flights. Keep the dialogue constructive, stay collaborative, so we can all benefit from what you have discovered, and please stop biting the hand that feeds you! We all do this for free!

Thank you all, I will take it from here. I am now working with DJI. Cheers

1 Like

Thank you for the beautiful analysis, Am I right to assume backed by this analysis that in between 12:52 to 13:01, there was a full forward elevator command with an elevation varying between 3-6 feet above VPS. The operator did not push any stick down to lower the altitude but FORCE LANDING continued to initiate with obstacle sensor disable while on FORCE LANDING mode and also ignoring the current speed reaching 27MPH with FORCE LANDING decreasing the altitude in an effort to land the drone?

In that case, the operator may have indeed push the full elevator forward command but it was a combination of FORCE LANDING lowering the elevation to land the drone while flying on a linear path at 27MPH that really cause the elevation to drop and crash because operator never at any point push any stick down.

During forced landing, the operator can still prevent the descent, and actually ascend, with full left stick input. Ascension is very slow, so make sure you have at least 75 feet to play with or more, before you reach the 10% forced landing, or whatever higher value you have set for forced landing, if still far away,. Only when a single cell voltage drops below 3.0V is the descent truly forced, and uncontrollable.

Aside from Operator input, does it make sense at all that a drone should be landing on a linear path while decreasing altitude and allowing such incredible speed? This is by definition not a FORCE LANDING but an outright CRASH LANDING code.

Out of all DJI claims in technological enhancement with 6 sensors and crash prevention measures, when and how does it make pure sense to disable sensors and allow such type of landing on a drone with zero wheels?

DJI put a premium price on these drones because of such features, we are not talking some older models here with limited enhancement features, we are talking the flagship DJI Mavic 2. Don’t you think buyers would be much disappointed after seeing all these promotion only to read a manual that says these features are nothing but a beautiful fancy promises like a lemonade?

You are preaching to the choir here. You need to take your issues to DJI. We have given you all the input from the data that was provided. What “might” or “should” have been coded is completely irrelevant. There was already a cancellation feature available and it was not utilized. This by definition is pilot error and most likely DJI will see it that way as well. Future enhancements or changes aside, and what should have could have etc…are mute points and simply rhetoric arguments. True as some may be, that is the case at present.

Off the record, let’s skip the blind eye and I will preach with DJI not to worry. I haven’t heard any justification as to why DJI should allow to fly such drone going 27MPH at below 10 feet altitude.

I am asking a valid questions with a greater relevance on safety, so why don’t you answer me on this one rather than going back n forth with operators fat finger notions?

Do you wait till a person gets severely injured or may cause death before you start deciding that fat finger is the least of your worry?