Mavic 2 Pro Lost; Newbie Asking for Help!

Hi,
Long time listener, first time caller.
I was doing a night videography flight and I think I may have experienced a “flyaway”?

Background and situation:
I’m a recreational flyer only.
VERY familiar location flying from the home where I grew up in a semi-rural area.
Had flown for days, many times from the same spot before the Final Fated Flight.

In the days prior, I’d had to re-calibrate my compass more than “normal” and two days prior to losing the drone, I’d had to re-callibrate my visual sensors. (don’t ask…THAT was an experience…what with the DJI Assistant 2. Good training but a pain.)

The night of the flight I lost signal, the RTH kicked in and the drone started GAINING altitude and flying AWAY from home. Granted I was pushing the envelope on range when I lost the signal, but I’d successfully flown this flightpath before a number of times day and night. Improving upon other videos taken before…

Trying to regain signal and take over from the erroneous info on RTH, I tried to throttle towards me with opposite results, I tried changing altitude with inconsistent results.
I also got an “Airport” warning during the takeoff…the closest airport is a small regional airport (read: not a busy airfield) 10mi from the Home/Takeoff location and our house is not in a common flight path.
Numerous unexpected warnings occurred not consistent with the location.
Can someone please help me decipher this?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/V12TSUAEQCWIQJV5C9JX/

Thanks MUCH for any help.

Btw…Of course this flight was the night before I returned to MY home. I did look near the last known location but when you see the flight logs you’ll understand why I didn’t spend too much time. Chances are extremely high it’s in a tree as the area is about 60-70% trees. Also lots of open fields grown very tall with natural vegetation.

I also tried AirData to explore wind conditions (it was pretty calm and the clouds were still as well) but I don’t have a premium account.

Hi,

Typical example of too much wind.
In RTH drone flew backwards, with 31 pitch down 2m/s backwards.
Flying at high altitude ; often more wind than at lower alt.

In RTH drone did not gain height, it was already at 455 meters when RTH kicked in.
See my charts.

With 30% batt at the end with at this height it performed an autolanding soon after the last record in the log.

Cheers
JJB

1 Like

:raised_hands:
THANK YOU JJB! Your charts are exactly what I was hoping for.
Yep…I was afraid I was just not remembering correctly. :thinking:
And I was getting so many popup warnings those last couple minutes it was impossible to make real-time sense of them. :no_mouth:
~sigh~
Well…I’m already shopping for the replacement drone. :slightly_smiling_face:
Really good, expensive lesson.
Thanks again! The data presented that way is a great debrief.

btw…the lesson to which I’m referring is; in the future use an independent GPS device attached to the drone. lol!

There is more on this incident over on