Licensing Question

I’m a new drone pilot and a question came up about licensing. I made a short video and sent it to a friend. I do not have any social media accounts of my own but we both are part of a non profit organization. He wants to use the footage on an Istagram and FB account belonging to our local chapter. I think the FAA will frown on this, he says I’m paranoid. Will appreciate any info from an experienced drone pilot.

If you shot the video while you were just out flying for fun, you likely won’t run into any issues. Well, as long as you don’t make a habit of accidentally doing this. The problem is when people set out to fly solely for the purpose of creating content to later be used for some kind of business related purpose (whether or not money was paid for the content creation).

Disclaimer: Like anything law related, you shouldn’t rely on people on the Internet (like me) if you’re uncertain. Head straight to the source (the FAA in this case) and ask.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I did contact the FAA and received the same info you provided. It’s not worth the effort to get my certification for an occasional 3 second video. Thanks again.

This is the FAA’s “Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations” official Web Page. Please pay particular note to the NOTE under “What is a Recreational Flight?” in the link below.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

I do not think the use of this video will “fly”