Keep Your Drone Low and Close... Setting Maximum Distance and Height...

I recently posted my experiments with the Return to Home function for my Mini 2. While I was out, I also played around with the flying the drone at a preset Maximum Height and at Maximum Distance.

If you want to see the Return to Home Posting…

Now, back on point… I wanted to see just what would happened when my Mini 2 hit the setting and it was interesting, you should try it…

OK, first off I’m flying in a large park and I’m keeping my drone within the “RTH Unavailable Distance” (see the RTH Posting…) so I’m not worried about the altitude setting being below the trees.

I set the Max Altitude to 49’ and that is exactly the maximum height my Mini 2 flew to. Once it hit 49’ it was like the drone hit a glass ceiling. I could maneuver it around, fore and aft, and left and right, and yaw to my heart’s content, but it would climb no higher…

I reset the Height and set the Maximum Distance to 65’ and it flew no further than 63’. This I chocked up to deviations in GPS. You know, like when you hit RTH and the drone comes back and lands just off the Pad… I could fly the drone all over the place, up, down, left, right, and yaw in circles but the drone would fly no further. It was like flying in a glass cylinder.

These features are a boon if you want to let you friends or family try your drone and you do not want to worry that they will fly it straight into a tree or get so high, it violates the altitude limits. Just situate them in an open area, such as the middle of the yard, park, or wherever, away from trees, buildings, and anything else you do not want to your drone to hit… You can keep your drone low and close…

PS: Those weird structure in the background of the photos are a paintball and airsoft battlefield park. What you see are all sorts of obstacles, hidey-holes, barricades, sheds, old trailers, even an old wrecked airplane shell. The dark colored screen is meant to keep the general public safe from a direct hit. I do not fly my drone when the battlefield is in use on the weekends.

2 Likes

Thankyou, great information for a mug beginner (me). Havent flown yet, great news I dont have to worry about losing it first baT!