Is there any point going further?

Successfully updated firmware from 1.3.20+ to 1.4.10 and got the intelligent flight options I was after.
Is there any advantage in going further, going through all the steps up to the latest 1.11.20?

Looking at this. I cannot see any big advantages other than a few tweaks here and there.

I like to run the latest stable firmware updates. Not only does that allow me to take advantage of the latest documented changes, it also means I’ll benefit from any fixes/tweaks not disclosed in the release notes.

The P3A firmware was last updated in July 2017, so it’s certainly a stable release at this point. The only potential issue you might want to avoid is in the 1.11.20 update (the current version). If not logged into DJI GO, the altitude and distance are restricted. That hasn’t been a problem for me, but some who fly in locations with no cell service have been restricted after arriving on site only to find they have somehow been logged out of DJI GO.

Thanks msinger. So to be safe I should go through the updates one at a time ie:

v1.05.3, v1.06.4, v1.07.6, V01.08.0080, v1.09.6, v1.10.9 & v1.11.20

until I get up to the latest or can one jump straight up there? If you do that, do you not lose some of benefits from previous updates?

You can jump right to the version you’d like to install. There is no benefit to installing one version at a time.

1 Like

Sort of a leap of faith into the unknown :thinking:

Well, there are no guarantees when installing any kind of software. Things go as planned most of the time though when following the proper installation procedure.

Suppose you were to buy a brand new P3 that had been sitting on the store shelf for a while. When you do the original firmware update, DJI would take you to the newest version, rather than install one after another after another…

And that depends on the original purchased version. The updates will fail jumping from very early to latest. Sometimes you have to start new and progress through.

As I understand it as long as you are on 1.3.20 or later you can then go to any later version. Just want to make sure.
I should be all right as I am currently on 1.4.10 :roll_eyes:

Very pleased, and relieved, bit the bullet and updated to latest aircraft firmware version and everything looks GOOD, got a “SUCCESS” in the .txt file and everything turns on and locks in.

However, when I repeated the steps for my second battery I got “The Firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft”.

So did the spare battery update - can one see the battery firmware version anywhere and what should it be to be compatible with the latest aircraft firmware 1.11.0020

If you didn’t see the things described in step 40 here, then the battery firmware did not need to be updated. Most firmware updates do not contain battery updates.

No.

Thanks as usual msinger, that’s what I was hoping! Happy Bunny, now to get some flyable weather :persevere:

One thing I noticed that isn’t in the instructions, and that is after a successful update one has to format the SD card in the drone from the App before it shown in the “About” menu.

Not sure what you mean here msinger:
The only potential issue you might want to avoid is in the 1.11.20 update (the current version). If not logged into DJI GO, the altitude and distance are restricted. That hasn’t been a problem for me, but some who fly in locations with no cell service have been restricted after arriving on site only to find they have somehow been logged out of DJI GO.

My Tablet doesn’t have a SIM card so never will have cell service. Could this be an issue do you think, restricting my distance and altitude? I always keep the drone in sight (apart from when it might go behind a tree or something, and below 400ft.

It’ll only be an issue if you log out of DJI GO while DJI GO is disconnected from the Internet. DJI GO caches your login and should not auto log you out. If all works as designed, you shouldn’t run into any issues.

Cheers msinger, where would an old man be without your help :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Cheers msinger, where would an old man be without your help :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In the bathroom? :grin:

1 Like