How does the drone decide to give you a "High Wind Warning"?

The Question is: How does the drone decide to give you a “High Wind Warning”? What information does it use to make that decision, and where does it get that information?

This Thread will be posted in Two Parts, This is the First Part and I will reply to this Thread for the Second Part. This is due to limits that this web site places on the lengths of threads…

This is a follow-up to a previous Thread…

“Oh Where ‘o Where has My Little Drone Gone, Has the Wind Blown it Away?”

The Drone uses the GPS system to determine its location and it uses its Accelerometer (for Orientation and Positioning) and its Gyroscope (to Measure and Maintain Orientation and Angular Velocity).

The Flight Processor takes the data from all three of these sensors to determine if it is having to work to maintain its global position. As I wrote earlier, when the drone is hovering in a head wind, it is actually “flying forward” to maintain its position.

To fly forward to maintain its position, it has actually increased power to its rear motors and if you were to view it from the side, you would see that the Drone’s nose is low and its tail is high (as if it is flying forward…).

When the Drone has increased its “angular velocity” to a certain power level, near max, just to maintain its position or if it is “racing forward” and making little progress as determined by the input from the GPS sensor, the Fly App sends you the “High Wind Warning”

You want to simulate a high wind? Hover the Drone about 4-5 feet off the ground, now reach over and grab one of its front legs, and pull it towards you. As I say, “Your little baby will scream…” The Drone will increase power to that side’s motors in an attempt to get back in position and if you tilt it, the Drone (the processor) will interpret that action as a high wind blowing it out of place…

For those folks who may never have seen the “High Wind Warning” the Screenshot shows you what to expect…

highwind

The Screenshot showing the Attitude Indicator and Speed Indicators should sends chills down any Drone Flyer’s Spine…

You can almost hear my little Mini 2 screaming, “What are you doing to me? Look at the Attitude Level Indexes, they are off the Scale, I’m almost standing on my head. And in spite of all that power pouring into my propulsion system, look at my Speed Indicator, it’s reading a negative 4.5 MPH, but I’m supposed to be flying forward, but I’m actually traveling backwards… I’m feeling Hot, are my motors starting to glow?”

full power