Flight Reader 1.5.5 released

A new version of Flight Reader is available. Release 1.5.5 includes the following changes:

• Added ability to process DroneDeploy LOG flight logs.

• Added map type toggle at the top of the map window to change the Google Map type between hybrid, roadmap, satellite, and terrain.

• Added play and stop buttons on the map window to automatically play back the flight route on the Google Map.

• Added “Show placemarks” setting in the “KML” section of the Flight Reader Options window to show/hide the placemarks on the Google Map in the map window and generated KML file.

NOTE: These new map changes won’t be available for flight logs processed in older versions of Flight Reader until they have been reprocessed. To reprocess a flight log, right click it in the main Flight Reader window and choose “Reprocess Flight Log”.

See the release notes on the Flight Reader download page for a complete list of changes.

Hi Mike,

I’m sure it must be something I am doing, but I don’t seem to get these two options in my map window:

• Added map type toggle at the top of the map window to change the Google Map type between hybrid, roadmap, satellite, and terrain.
  • Added play and stop buttons on the map window to automatically play back the flight route on the Google Map.

See screenshot.

Thanks for any pointers!

Cheers, Jim

Was that flight log processed with an old version of Flight Reader? If so, you’ll need to reprocess the flight log into order to rebuild the map. Right click the flight log in the main Flight Reader window and choose “Reprocess Flight Log”.

Ah! Thanks, Mike.

That’s fixed it.

Since I’m here… coukd I make a suggestion?

When “Toggle fullscreen view” is used to switch
to fullscreen, the play controls are lost and you have to switch back to the split view to control the playback. Could the play controls be carried through to the fullscreen view?

Thanks, Jim

Have you tried setting the map size to “Large” here?

That combined with increasing the size of the map window (click and drag the bottom right corner) will allow you to enlarge the map area and also see the controls below.

Hi Mike,

I think we might have crossed wires :slight_smile:

So I set “File > Options > General tab > Log Viewer MAP Size” to "Large as you suggested. I then opened a “Log Viewer” window and then selected “Windows > Maximise”. I then clicked “Map Viewer > Toggle Fullscreen View” at which point the “Log Viewer > Play Controls” disappear:

In fact they disappear whatever the “File > Options > General tab > Log Viewer MAP Size” is set to and whether the “Window” is “Maximised” or not:

My guess is this is an intended response to the " “Map Viewer > Toggle Fullscreen View”? However, my suggestion was prompted by the addition of the “Play” and Stop" buttons, which perhaps makes showing the player controls more relevant on all views?

Actually, your suggestion has thrown up another anomaly. If I click the “Map Viewer > Toggle Fullscreen View” again, I now get the “Map Viewer > Player controls” back and by using the window slider I can see the “Map Viewer > Column Headers”. However, I can not scroll down further than the headers, so I can’t see data:

It’s not a problem if “File > Options > General tab > Log Viewer MAP Size” is set to “Small”. It is a partial problem if it is set to “Medium”, that can sort of be resolved by juggling with the Window size. It is a permanent problem if set to “Large”, which is unfixable by juggling the Window size.

Hope this helps describe things better?

Thanks, Jim

Sorry for not including sufficient context in my last reply. I understand what you’re asking – and I was wondering if the current functionality (that I shared above) would be a sufficient workaround to meet your needs. And yes, I realize what I suggested will not work when the Google map is displayed in full screen mode.

The Google map full screen button will attempt to enlarge the map to use all available space. The reason the buttons are still visible is because they are outside of the web browser control where the Google map lives. The play/stop buttons are inside the web browser control – and that explains why the Google map overtakes them when in full screen mode.

What I’m suggesting above looks like this:

What you're suggesting might look something like this:

And then the 3rd idea (which you mentioned above), would be to click the play button and then open the map in full screen. While that would not allow you to stop the animation, I'm also wondering would benefit you'd gain by being able to stop and play the animation in full screen mode. The table, gauges, etc. are all hidden, so pausing the animation at that point doesn't seem very valuable.

Maybe you can share your workflow in more detail? What benefits would be gained by making this change (if even possible)?