DJI Spark - is it worth it?

I am looking to spice up my life, and I want to start documenting the places I go… I have a GoPro HERO 1 that only shoots in 1080p, but I feel it does the job since I’m a broke college kid. Would anybody recommend the DJI Spark to start me off as a drone pilot. From YouTube videos I’ve watched, it seems like the camera quality is about the same as my GoPro, which I’m fine with. Yes? No? Do I pull the trigger on the Spark?
https://downloader.vip/the-pirate-bay/ PutLocker

The Spark would be a good fit for shooting 1080p footage while traveling. Its small size makes it easy to pack in any bag.

If your budget allows for it, the Mavic Air would be another good choice. It’s nearly the same size when packed up and is superior in many ways. For example, it’s faster, flies further, has 5 more minutes of flight time, shoots RAW photos, and shoots 4K video. You can compare all of the other specs side-by-side here.

Either way you go, you could save some money if you buy a refurbished drone from DJI or used drone from a place like eBay. A bonus of buying a refurbished drone is that it comes with the same 1-year warranty as a brand new DJI drone.

Well, if you have not opened your wallet so far, I can vouch for the Spark, its a great little drone, but you need to learn and understand its inherrant weaknesses in order to protect your investment. It lacks compass and IMU redundancy, which means if you get into a situation where there is interference, then fly aways are possible. However, if you take some time to read and watch (YT) on all things Spark, you can have thousands of hours of fun… If I had more time I’d really be racking up the flights, I have 84 flights , 12 hours and 64Km logged so far, only one minor issue and it was my own fault. Your mileage may vary. The Mavic Air is basically an improved spark with better everything, except it still uses Wifi as its control signal. Its about budget in my case… and mine was a gift so…

I would recommend the DJI Spark. I’ve used it for months now and it is one of the best camera drones I’ve tried. But if you have a specific budget range, there are camera drones below $100 that you can try like the Ryze Tello drone. Cheap drones are perfect for beginners.

1 Like

I’m in full agreement with #msinger and others on this thread. The DJI Spark is a fantastic little UAV and as time goes on you can build up many accessories for it. I actually rate it above the Mavic Mini (controversial I know), it certainly isn’t affected by the wind as much as the MM. I love my little Spark, just get to know it, know it’s and yours limitations and fly within the boundaries.

You’ve been given some good advice by others, take note of it. Especially the bit about where to buy it from. I thoroughly recommend DJI Store if you can either new or refurbished from them. If you can stretch a little further … go for the care package. Good luck.

1 Like