Battery care

hi everyone…just joined the site today…will have a navigate and nosey around in the next few days to familiarise using the forum…

I have a quick question on the phantom 3 battery…i picked up a second hand one last week…unfortunately I have been called away with work to the new year 2021 and won’t get to use it…

What do I do with the batterys…do I drain them and store away or charge them up abit and store them away till i get back and am able to use it again…

Follow the tips in this guide:

I read that but didn’t mention about long periods not being used like in my situation 3 or 4 months

Does the battery have to be in the drone for it to discharge?

See the “When not using your batteries, maintain the charge level like this” tip at the bottom. That information applies to storing batteries for any extended period of time too.

No.

All Phantom3 batteries will self discharge. They have a microprocessor built in that will discharge the cells to 65% for storage. The DJI GO app has a setting to tell the battery to wait a certain amount of days before discharge is to begin and this feature is automatic. The time it takes to self discharge could take up to a week depending on the ambient temperature. Keep in mind that pressing the power button on the battery resets the timer and will delay the start of self discharge. If you store the battery for a really extended amount of time, the level of charge will eventually go lower than 65% and that is normal. A fully charged battery will go bad quicker than at 65% and that’s that. It’s best to charge the battery only prior to flight. I set mine to self discharge after one day. That way there won’t be a full charge maintained in the battery if the it doesn’t get used… I have two batteries from day one (2016) and both are still good for 20-25 minutes flight times.

1 Like