Are you flying in a Fog?

I know I’m going to be called a “kill-joy” but I am only posting this since I have seen so many videos and photos recently of Drones flying in, over, and through Fog…

Fog on the Ground, Fog in the Valleys, and Fog in the Forrest… And so much more and so many members are remarking how they hope to get great shots like those posted…

The one thing you need to remember is that Fog is a Cloud, make no mistake, it is a cloud, it’s just low to the ground and even on the ground.

In the USA, the FAA does not specifically mention Fog, but they say a plenty about Clouds. The FAA’s 107.51 Operating limitations for small-unmanned aircraft.

Minimum distance from clouds being no less than 500 feet below a cloud and no less than 2000 feet horizontally from the cloud.

You can try to hedge the rules with, “But I am flying over the Fog…” But that scoffs at the “No less than 2000 feet horizontally from the cloud” clause…

I admit there is a lot allure to fly into and through the fog, but it does not take much Fog to “bury” your drone and the Fog will also blind any FPV you might be using.

Oh sure, you can always just climb out of the fog and hope you do not hit a tree branch, wire, or cable…

As I wrote earlier, I’m probably going to get hammered as a kill-joy and that’s OK as long as your Drone does not hammer someone or something because it got lost in a Fog…

Fly Safe and Fly Smart…